To be a competitive,cohesive,secure socio cultural and economically empowered community
To maximize the full potential of the community through participatory engagement that safeguards the rights and welfare of all thus enhancing its wholistic and sustainable development
Children services department
County Director Children Services: Philip Wapopa
This department has two main programs:
1. Orphans and vulnerable children cash transfer programs (OVCCT)
2. Presidential bursary fund
Guarding the children’s rights is also their work.
Orphans and vulnerable children cash transfer programs (OVCCT)
This is a program that caters for needy children especially orphans. Money (Ksh. 2,000 per month) is given to such children through their guardians after they have been identified by the committees assisted by the chief at the locational level. The money is released once in two months.
The entire county benefits in this program and below is the breakdown per sub-county:
- Baringo Central: 180
- Baringo North: 1600
- Baringo South: 700
- Mogotio: 256
- Tiaty: 646
- Eldama Ravine: 167
Presidential bursary fund
7.2million has been allocated to Baringo County and will be shared equitably among the six subcounties share each will receive 1.2 million. A committee has already been formed at constituency level to conduct the disbursement where bright and needy students benefit. 28,000-30,000 is the amount a beneficiary is expected to be given.
On Child Rights
25million and 7acres of land allocated for construction of a rescue center in Marigat. A boarding facility that will accommodate upto 250 kids will be erected and would cater for both the boy and the girl child who experience threats of being morans and early marriages respectively.
Social development department
Director: John Obutu
1. Older persons’ welfare (65 years and above)
2. People with Disabilities’ welfare
3. Community development and mobilization-formation and registration of youth and women groups
4. Giving grants of up to 3million to registered groups to boost their businesses; applications done between October and December.
The department also help teach Youth living with disabilities livelihood skills like tailoring, carpentry, and other skills. Kabarnet Vocational Rehabilitation Center offers such skills. The center hosts up to 70 youth but now has only 20 meaning more need to be recruited.
Old persons and people with disabilities’ Cash Transfer Program-OPCT
Vulnerable old people are considered in this program where they are given money to sustain them, ie buying food and other basic needs.
Considerations and identification are made by locational committees and the numbers per subcounty are given from the National Bureau of statistics after analyses is done from the census.
As at now, 1537 old persons benefit from this program in Baringo County but the department has targets to attain in this financial year.
Below is the breakdown:
Table showing the Old persons and PWDs benefiting from the cash transfer program
|Sub-County||Old Persons (Now)||Target No.||PWDs (Now)||Targets No.|
Director: Ms Elizabeth Yatich
1. Supporting Sporting Events a Activities
2. Putting up and rehabilitating sporting facilities and structures
On Supporting Sporting Events and Activities, so far, the county Government through this department has sponsored:
1. Training of coaches where 30 participated and all of the given certificates
2. County Athletics Tournament
3. Regional Athletics tournament including those required to proceed to the nationals
4. County Football tournament where the best three teams and individual best performers were awarded.
5. KCB Marathon for the people with disabilities where Baringo County’s Samuel Chepkieng managed to be position 8 nationally
Putting up and rehabilitating sporting facilities and structures
Money (Ksh. 10m) has been set aside to start the rehabilitation of Kabarnet Municipal Stadium which is soon to become a model and would be rebranded Baringo County Stadium so to eldama ravine stadium whose first phase (fencing) has been done.
Both stadiums will host sports academies where young people will nurture their various sporting talents.
At least one ground per Sub County will be allocated funds for rehabilitation
Youth and Gender Department
This department is tasked to empower the youth and women through the following programs:
1. Youth and women Funds thus economic empowerment,
2. Trainings thus entrepreneurial and livelihood skills,
3. Inculcating national values to the youth and women,
4. Youth and gender mainstreaming: ensuring all the county departments cater for the youth so that none of them is left out in any of the sectors more so educating them on the same so that they know where to go and what to do,
5. Mobilize youth and women to participate in various activities that would help them socially and economically,
To enhance the above, the county government has proposed in the budget to set up Business incubation centre worth 50m in Kabarnet.
Youth empowerment centers in each of the six sub county will also be constructed at a cost of about 10m each.
Apart from the business incubation center, an integrated youth empowerment center that will entail all kinds of facilities like music recording, theatre, music room etc has been given precedence where youth with nurture their culture, talent and any other skill.
Director: Maritim Wycliffe
Its role is to preserve and promote cultural aspect in Baringo County so to coordination of activities done by the government.
This department also oversees and organizes:
1. Music and cultural festivals
2. Cultural workshops
3. Construction of cultural centers.
So far, the county government through the department, has supported the Regional festivals held in Kericho where all the 5teams (Culture promoters-Baringo Central, Murrum Team-Tiaty, Longiwan-Marigat, Three Man Guitar-Marigat and Muungano Choir-Ravine)emerged winners in their categories but could not proceed to the nationals as the department had no funds. This is when the then CEC, Edwin Riamang’ura surrendered his fuel vote head to take the team to Nairobi.
Muungano Choir from Eldama Ravine performed well and was invited for a presidential Gala Night where they presented before the president.