The Ministry is purposed to be corruption free and work together to serve the people of Baringo. An integrated vision and mission is under development, which it will be encompassed to provide efficient and satisfactory services, be transparent and digitize all information. We also aim to make our towns urbanized as soon as possible by providing clean and well planned and a healthy environment. We intend to provide excellent, affordable adequate and quality housing to improve the livelihood of our people both in the Urban and rural areas.
The Ministry has five departments namely:
- Lands- In charge two, Assistant Lands Registrars for Baringo District and Koibatek/Mogotio Districts
- Physical Planning- In charge County Physical Planner
- Survey- In charge, County Surveyor
- Housing- In Charge County Housing Officer
- Urban Development- Kabarnet & Eldama Ravine towns – In Charge Town Administrators
Brief about the ministry
- Our ministry a service provider and also is the base for all to do their developments
- Our budget was the most slim and slashed this year, yet anything to do with land is the most expensive
- The only development budget was for lighting the town and was taken up by infrastructure docket
- Most public utilities and government houses adversely grabbed and encroached, but working with NLC to see what can be reversed
- Plan to purchase land for land banks to enable future developments to take off
- Procure survey equipment in the next budget
- Supervision of adjudication sections
- Survey of trading centres
- Land Data-base system
- Provide service to the public and collection of revenue of the same
Land adjudication and settlement
- Carry out adjudication sections covers areas which to translate to registration of land
- Demarcated most areas of Baringo central and Mogotio
- For Baringo North on going
- Working on Mochogoi settlement to be de gazette and involved a cut line to separate the forest to budget for next budget
- Tiaty constituency under trust land
- We propose on building more houses in Kabarnet to cope with high demand for housing.
- This year concentrated on planning, writing proposals to get developers, shopping for land to build the same
- Participated in Kabarnet ASK show to demonstrate to the public on appropriate low cost building technology which is available for free. The has been a huge demand for the machine i.e. Kabartonjo & Kabarnet
- The department has ensured maximum utilisation and maintenance of Appropriate Building Technology (ABT) Equipment in the county
- Capacity building for communities on Appropriate Building Materials and Technologies
- The department was involved in Identification of office space and residential accommodation for county government functions, negotiation, preparation and administration of leases
- Valuation and rental assessment for offices for office spaces e.g Baringo North CDF office and Eldama Ravine CDF office
- Maintain up to date data base of government houses and their occupants
- Compilation of monthly returns on rent collection status of the GOK houses in the county.
- Solving disputes related to residential landlords and tenants cases through the Rent Tribunal.
- Service provider that depends on daily demands from the public
- Expect about 1,000 ready title deeds for Salawa section for issuance
- The department is seriously under staffed and working with National Land Commission to address issue
Kabarnet & Eldama Ravine Towns
- Service provision i.e collection of revenues, town cleaning etc
- In the process of preparations of By laws for approval by assembly
- Procure one exhauster in this budget to be used in the County
- The Lands docket budget was too small for this financial year thus officers have been unable to attend to fieldwork for the last six months.
- From the beginning of this financial year, there has been confusion on where the A.I.E should come from. So far the docket has not received any funding from national government and thus disrupted the daily activities of the department.
- Movements to the field have also been hampered with since Survey,Lands and Housing departmental vehicles have stalled down with no repairs forthcoming.
- Another challenge is lack of clear understanding of Schedule Four of the Constitution of Kenya on devolved functions.
- The docket had a vote of Kshs 145,000/- on fuel and repairs that has already been exhausted which a small allocation is considering the Lands dockets offers a lot of services to the public and involves a lot of travelling. The Lands, Housing and Urban development docket is waiting for revision of the supplementary budget in order to be facilitated to carry on work to the end of this financial year.