To be a leading and dynamic department in education, training, research, innovation and automation of service delivery for sustainable Development.
|To provide, promote, coordinate quality and appropriate education, training, and ICT integration for effective and efficient service delivery.|
1. Recruit, induct and train ECDE teachers and youth polytechnic instructors
2. Ensure modernisation of public service by introduction of modern technology and innovative procedures and systems to improve service delivery.
3. Development of county communication capacity and infrastructure.
4. Promotion of E-government services in the county.
5. To identify and nature talent and promote innovation.
6. Prepare bills, policies and regulations.
7. Sensitize the public on gender and disability mainstreaming, access to education, environmental issues, health and safety issues.
8. Promote access, equity, quality and relevant training in youth polytechnic, ECDE and ICT.
9. Promote integrity, transparency and good governance.
- Promotion of access, equity, quality and relevant trainings in our educational institutions
- Promote integration of Information and Communication Technology(ICT) in our educational institutions and public service delivery
- Strengthen strategic partnerships and linkages in Youth Training, early childhood education and ICT.
- Promotion of good governance and guidance and counselling in our institutions
- Revitalize, upgrade and refurbish youth polytechnics, ECDE and ICT as well initiation of income generating activities in our Youth Polytechnics
- To initiate, sensitize and implement policies on youth polytechnics, ECDE and ICT
Public pre-school education has experienced unprecedented tremendous growth in the county. They are well distributed in the six sub-counties as indicated in the table below
|Sub County||No of ECDE Centres||Enrollment|
Already, the County Government has employed 1786 ECDE teachers to ensure ECDE children are equipped with skills and knowledge that will enable them join primary schools.
The sector will implement the following flag ship projects cutting across the County in the plan period 2013-2017.
|Project Name||Cost Estimate (Ksh)|
|Construction of 372 ECDE Centres in primary schools in Baringo County||850 M|
|Construction of 4 new ECDE Centres per sub county||360 M|
|Construction of 6 new and Upgrading of 12 youth polytechnics in the county||540M|
|Construction of 1 Community Resource Centre per ward||300M|
|Establishment of one Integrated Special school per Sub-County||180M|
|Setting up a County Bursary, Scholarship Fund||300M|
|Construction of 24 primary school classrooms/ infrastructure per ward in Baringo county||1.1B|
|Construction of ICT Incubation centres in all Sub Counties|
In addition, the County Government of Baringo has established a Ksh. 30 million bursary fund scheme for its bright and needy students. Each ward will receive Ksh. 1 million to award to students in secondary schools and trainees in technical institutions.80% of the total amount will be allocated to students in secondary schools, while the remaining 20% will go to trainees in youth polytechnics and technical institutions.
Information Communication Technology (ICT) Sector
Information Communication technology (ICT), plays a significant role in the development of Baringo County and contributes to over 60% of the Kenya’s Economy. In this digital era, Baringo County prides itself of a number of globally competitive ICT firms and local startup computer institutions. The ICT sector is in the process of developing integrated systems to run all the County’s affairs, which include and not limited to; fleet management, Revenue collection, e- staff management- records management, among others systems. This will help fast track daily operations for quick decision making. The County’s website www.baringo.go.ke is up and running. It is maintained by ICT staff and Bunifu technologies. All departments are giving information on their current developments to be posted on the website. The ICT center which has been set up at kabarnet with the support of World Best friends(WBO) and Korean International Agency(KOICA) both South Korean Organizations, will be the county’s premier for industrialization science and technology. It will champion the development of innovation ideas and attract direct foreign investment .This will position the county as an ICT hub. The County Government is also keen to increase public sector productivity by enabling the delivery of services through utilization and management of information systems to run its operations .There is a lot of work to be done to ensure fiber optic network reaches everywhere in the County. Key for harmonious implementation of ICT, programme for the County, is supportive legislative framework and policies to fast track integration of ICT in all services. The county Assembly will make appropriate laws and guidelines to steer ICT programme implementation in the county. In addition,the County is developing comprehensive ICT4D strategy involving all stakeholders and sectors in the County.
Flagship Projects in the ICT sector.
- Networking of Baringo County Government offices (structured cabling)
- Installation of CCTV cameras/security systems
- Installation of VOIP in the County Headquarters, towns and sub counties
- Upgrading of County’s Website
- Purchase of ERP system to control revenue, fleet, records among others to enhance smooth flow of operations
- Construction of ICT incubation centres in all sub-countys to nurture talents and innovative ideas.